Monday, March 18, 2013

Review: Chosen At Nightfall (Shadow Falls #5) by C.C. Hunter

thrilling end to the bestselling series that started with Born at Midnight. If you loved the first four books, you'll find this one hard to let go off long after you read the last word.

Though I wasn't a fan of the series from day one, this captured my attention. It had everything a good supernatural read had: love triangle with two smoking guys, Derek (faerie)and Lucas (werewolf), strong and independent lead (Kylie) and a good plot. Fast forward four books and here we are now, at the end. 

    I was very hesitant to read the book because I knew after I started to read, there was no going back; the end was here. Being one of my favorite series, I didn't want to let it go just yet. But, though I finished the book and loved it, I will always remember the first time I entered the world of Shadow Falls.

     From the start, Kylie's struggles seemed bigger than mine. After all, it doesn't happen every day that you find out you're not human and that your supernatural pattern isn't readable. Or that you even up being a rare type of supernatural: a chameleon. Let alone the fact that no one even knows what a chameleon is. If I was Kylie, I would have just declared myself human and given up any abilities at the start so I wouldn't have to go through all she went through up to end. Especially those ghosts. If I had to deal with them on a daily basis, I would just throw myself over a cliff or something. Seriously, those ghosts can give you nightmares. But Kylie is the type of person to finish what she starts, even if it means risking her life... again.

     That is the only thing that bugs me. Kylie had "valiantly" risked herself and gone into dangerous situations by herself to spare others. They, however, are still involved and go into the situation unprepared. I know people don't change from one day to another but it's been months! By the fourth book, she should have stopped and realized that trusting at least one other person will stop her from getting into deeper trouble that usual. In this aspect Kylie really needs to grow up and learn from her (many) mistakes.

     After Kylie left Shadow Falls, she thought she would get all the answers that she wanted- what it meant to be chameleon and where it was she belonged. However, events force her to face her problems head on rather than avoiding them. A pesky new ghost and sword just won't leave her alone. Pretending not to see her causes her nothing but grief. Not to mention all the unresolved drama left over from WHISPERS AT MOONRISE. Fortunately, Hunter cleared all of that up in CHOSEN AT NIGHTFALL.

     What about those amazing but trying-to-kill-each-other friends of hers? Della, a vampire with a knack to fight for her friends and Miranda, a witch who tends to screw spells up continue to be there for our heroine  They're male "friends" also add a little spice into the overall wholeness (and mischievous smiles) of the book. Having the relationships of the people around Kylie was a well-throughout strategy; she is the type to care about others more than herself. I especially love what happens between Holiday and Burnett. I did not see it coming but I loved it.

     Now for what everyone really wants to know: Derek or Lucas. Personally, I kept switching teams many times throughout the series. Lucas was always the hottie, who I'd like for myself but Derek was kind and wanted the best for her. Fortunately, choosing between these two (irresistible guys) wasn't the main issue like in some novels. Mostly, it still focuses on her finding answers and with them herself. But based on who she ends up with, half of the fans will be delighted and the others displeased. I am among the ones who can accept her decision. I understand her choice, though personally, I would have held everything they did wrong against them for a long time and just be single. But that's just me.

     Though I was weary as to how Hunter would conclude the series, I can say without a doubt that it does not disappoint. So now that the Shadow Falls series is over, I will wait for whatever new book she releases. Hopefully soon.

Rating: 4.5 wands
Will I read anything else C.C. Hunter in the future? Yes.
Recommended for: anyone who loves love triangles, supernatural books or has been with Kylie since Born at Midnight
Buy the book here.
Add to your shelf.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this series!!!!! Kylie final chooses her man! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete